Creating & Maintaining
Creating and Maintaining Electronic Portfolios
By Amanda Linn
Parts of the Portfolio
Student artworks (with title, media, year created, dimensions)
Pictures of group artworks
Pictures of the creative process
Pictures of the stages of an artwork
A quote that inspired or informed the artwork and/or student
1. We used a Sony Mavica digital camera. The Mavica was selected because each student could record their images onto a 3.5 floppy disc then transfer the images to a computer for editing. (Obviously this was submitted in the early days of digital media. Now you can transfer images a variety of ways)
2. The images were edited using Adobe Photoshop or Adobe Photo Deluxe. (You can buy these at educational discounts at the Adobe Software Page) The images were cropped so that only the artwork filled the image area. Some of the images were edited to improve contrast and/or the "truth" of the actual color. Sometimes the backgrounds were dropped just leaving the artwork.
3. The edited images were saved as JPEG images. IT IS CRUCIAL TO SAVE THE EDITED IMAGES IN A FORMAT THAT IS RECOGNIZED BY MOST SOFTWARE- JPEG, GIF, or PNG.
4. The edited JPEG images were stored in student accounts on our school’s server so the students could access the images from any computer on campus.
5. Students were encouraged to record and edit images of their work on group artworks, stages of personal artwork and images from their sketchbook.
Artist’s Statement, Biographical Information, Influences and Quotes
1. Each student created an artist’s statement using a set of prompts to guide their thinking. Students were encouraged to include a personal biography as well.
2. Students identified at least 3 individuals who influenced or informed the students’ art. At least one of these had to be a visual artist. They collected information and images pertaining to the artists for inclusion in the portfolio.
3. Students selected a quote (artist, musician, song, etc.) that reflected their artwork and/or approach to art making.
Amanda Linn, Harmony Grove High School