Serving Art Educators
and Students Since 1994
Submitted by: Kathy Barger,
Welch Elementary, Cincinnati, OH
UNIT: Mixed Media - Collage - Portrait - Figure Drawing
Grade level: 5th grade (adaptable grades 3 through 8)
OBJECTIVES: The student will:
Complete a mixed media composition using the human figure with correct proportions
Become familiar with marbleizing as a craft
Create a figure that has been inspired by one their favorite activities (real or imagined).
Use cut paper to create their figure in an abstract and stylized manner
Become familiar with Miriam Shapiro
Will understand the meaning of collage
Will force their figure to become the focal point through the manipulation of color, pattern and size
Students will know the difference between realistic, and abstract art.
ART GOALS & OBJECTIVES:
The learner will:
4.2.1 Explore and expand the range of
possibilities that materials and procedures have and apply to the making
of art forms.
5.2.1 Explore a technique by practicing it, researching it, and basing its artistic merit in the work of an artist.
5.3.2 Speculate about and research the common characteristics found in a specific artist's body of work.
• Adapt a technique, process or art form from another cultural group to produce art work
which is relevant to the individual or to her cultural group.
- 8.5"x11" (21.5 x 28 cm) white Bond paper or Watercolor Paper - Marbling Kit - Acrylic Paint
- Large deep trays for fluid - Drawing Pencils - Sequins variety of specialty papers
- Wallpaper - Glitter - Scissors - Optional: Watercolor Paint/Brushes/toothbrushes
- Handouts on figure drawing - Colored Construction Paper - White Glue
- Practice Drawing Paper 8"x11" (21.5 x 28 cm)- Gold and silver Metallic Artist Pens - Optional: Glitter/confetti
- Sport drawing-action figures packets for each table -ass’t sticker gummed shapes
Alternate Marbling : Shaving Cream (see lesson) - or Oil Pastels or soft Pastels
- "Rondo" prints by Shapiro - Steps for project
- Miriam Schapiro Biography - Art and Man magazine on Shapiro (May 1993)
Miriam Schapiro | More links
-collage -complementary colors
-mixed media -focal point
-contemporary -subject matter
Students create a background with Marbling Kit (or other marbling technique) OR try spatter paint with tooth brush, wet in wet watercolor. Optional: Create a border paper using a different technique (on larger construction paper) - or find patterned wall paper that coordinates to "frame" finished work.
Practice figure on 8 x 11 (21.5 x 28 cm) drawing paper. Use as guideline for finished figure.
Plan figure from assorted papers - mix solids with patterns.
Glue figure in place
Embellish negative space with glitter accents if desired
Optional - Mount onto larger paper with patterned border.
Rubric on figure proportion - use of design principles/elements - variety of collage materials used - creativity - craftsmanship
Add to or Comment on this Page: